Would you like to develop skills in explaining heritage within the beautiful setting of Loch Lomond? We are looking for friendly and enthusiastic individuals age 16+ who would like to develop new skills, work together as part of a team and participate in delivering engaging experiences for visitors. This will include meeting and greeting and delivering on-the-spot tours.
We are currently delivering an exciting development project to bring the Maid of the Loch back to life. Last year we completed a series of refurbishments including reawakening our steam engine. Your role will be an essential part to raise the Maid of the Loch’s profile as a vibrant visitor attraction.
This is an ideal opportunity for people of all ages and backgrounds; you may be looking for a new challenge, occupation, a summer job or to develop your portfolio of experience. Full training will be given.
~What will I be doing?~
• Welcoming visitors to the Maid of the Loch.
• Helping people learn about its heritage, including pointing out interesting features of the ship, winch house and site.
• Providing information about Loch Lomond and the surrounding area.
• Optional: delivering tours to individuals and groups. Full training will be given.
• Optional: Helping maintain and develop visitor activities within our education suite.
What will I gain from this role?
• Meeting and greeting visitors from across the world.
• Being part of an existing team of welcoming and active volunteers
• Participating in the development of the Maid of the Loch as an iconic visitor attraction
• Heritage skills and training, including delivering learning activities and interpretation. You will have access to a free training programme in heritage learning with the option of attending as many sessions as you please.
• Presentation skills and confidence engaging with groups of people.
• Developing your CV and work experience portfolio.
~What impact will my involvement have?~
• With your help we will be able to deliver enriching and enriching experiences for everyone who visits us and help promote the Maid of the Loch as an important icon of national heritage.
What skills / attributes are needed?
• Friendly, approachable attitude
• Good communication skills
• Good level of physical health
• Reliable and willing to help improve the visitor experience.
~When will you need me?~
• You can join us any time but ideally we will need you to be available from Late April to September, and in particular our peak season from May to August.
• We want to make this role as flexible as possible, however we would like applicants to be available for a minimum of 4 hours a week.
~Responding to this opportunity~
• We would be more than happy to discuss any element of the role with you. If you’re interested in opportunity then please get in touch for an informal chat with Robin our Community Liaison and Volunteer Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org / 07815 312 562
Maid of the Loch is next to Lomond Shores which is well connected by public transport and 10-15 minute walk from Balloch. We also have free car parking onsite.