The Paddle Steamer Maid of the Loch in Balloch is looking for people age 16+ to help research and develop its historic archive, as well as contributing to displays and exhibitions. This is an exciting opportunity for those who are interested in the social and cultural history of Loch Lomond as well as industrial and maritime heritage.
We are currently delivering an exciting development project to bring Loch Lomond’s paddle steamer back to life. Last year we completed a series of refurbishments including reawakening our steam engine. We are now looking to revitalise our onboard exhibition including the provision of interactive activities. We are also looking to host a range of temporary exhibitions encouraging people to come onboard and be inspired by heritage.
~What will I be doing?~
• You will be working as part of the newly formed heritage team to research and identify content for new exhibitions and activities.
• You will also have the opportunity to get hands-on developing a new archive; exploring the material that we have and helping identify material which could be brought into the collection.
What will I gain from the role?
• Developing new skills in heritage research and curating exhibitions. You will have access to free programme of heritage skills training.
• Taking part in collaborative research, including site visits to museums and archives.
• Helping develop a temporary exhibitions programme.
• Working as part of friendly engaged team as part of an exciting project.
~What impact will my involvement have?~
• We want the Maid of the Loch to become a venue where people can come together and celebrate cultural heritage.
~What skills are needed?~
• Able to work as part of a team of enthusiastic individuals
• An interest in social, cultural and industrial heritage
~How often will I be needed?~
• We are completely flexible. The role will be based at home with very occasional travel the Maid of the Loch. We would like at least 8hrs dedicated to the role a month, but this could vary according to your interests.
~Responding to this opportunity~
• If you’re interested in opportunity then please get in touch for an informal chat with Robin our Community Liaison and Volunteer Officer: email@example.com / 07815 312 562
Maid of the Loch is next to Lomond Shores which is well connected by public transport and 10-15 minute walk from Balloch. We also have free car parking onsite.
Minimum age of 16.